This is one of my go-to meals but I’ve never written it out before. Because who doesn’t know how to make tacos? But when you break it down, it’s a huge upgrade to the typical taco dinner.
Think: It’s 7:00 and just got home from work.” Boom. Make this. Feel awesome.
I’ve served these tacos to friends, neighbors, adults, kids…everyone gobbles ’em up. And when there’s leftover taco filling, I use it for lunch later in the week. Hello, taco salad.
Are you ready to hear all the ways that these tacos are super powered?
First is the addition of veggies. You’ll never notice they are there. And that’s not because I’m a huge fan of “hiding” vegetables. I’m just a fan of adding them in wherever I can. We all need more of the goodness found in fresh veggies. Think vitamins. Think fiber. Mmmmkay?
You’ll also see that we aren’t using a packaged taco seasoning. It’s really a more elegant solution to have a handful of spice jars in your cabinet and avoid the added sugars and preservatives. Have you ever read the ingredients on a package of taco seasoning??? If not, have a go the next time you’re shopping. Then put it down and buy some cumin. You save money in the long run too.
And finally, you’ll want to use top quality ingredients like organic taco shells (Trader Joe’s sells these for cheap), grass-fed beef and salsa with no added sugars or preservatives (again, Trader Joe’s Chunky Salsa is a winner for ingredients and price).
Once you find the right ingredients, this meal comes together in a snap.
To watch, click play then use the button on the bottom right of video to turn on volume:
- 1Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups chopped cabbage, minced or put through the food processor
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1.5 Tbsp. cumin
- 1.5 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp. salt
- For guacamole:
- 2 avocados, pitted
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 handful baby spinach
- Organic taco shells
- Other toppings, as desired
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until softened. Then, add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add cabbage to the skillet and cook for several minutes, until it starts to soften.
- Now add ground beef and break it up with a spoon. Cook until browned, stirring every so often.
- While beef cooks, make your guacamole: Combine avocado flesh with lime juice, onion powder, salt and spinach in a food processor until smooth.
- When beef is brown, add salt and spices and mix well.
- Serve in taco shells, topped with guacamole and salsa, or other toppings of your choosing.