Do you actually like ground turkey? Haha I don’t! I don’t like ground chicken either. I know these lean meats are usually recommended, especially for women trying to lose weight.
But I find it counterproductive.
Ground turkey is bland. I mean, it’s fine. I’ll eat it. But it’s not amazing. Can we agree on that? And when our food doesn’t satisfy us, we go looking for more.
Furthermore, we need fat. I’d say it is an essential part of a weight loss diet. Fat (like protein) gives us long lasting energy. It keeps our blood sugar stable. It helps eliminate cravings, makes our brain cells happy, keeps our skin smooth and reduces the urge to snack.
Just a long way of saying…
These burgers are made with pork. Mouth. Watering.
Bacon & Kale Burger Beds
Author: Michelle Pfennighaus
Makes: 2 servings
- ½ lb. ground pork (preferably heritage bred)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 slices bacon (same deal, preferably heritage bred)
- ½ cup roughly chopped kale leaves
- ½ tsp. garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp. sesame oil
- 4 cups bok choy, chopped
- 4 oz. mushrooms, chopped
- 1½ tsp. tamari
- ¼ cup kimchi (optional)
- Preheat outdoor grill or skillet over high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine pork and salt.
- Place bacon, kale and garlic in a food processor and pulse a few times to create a uniform texture. (Alternatively you could mince with a knife.) Add to your mixing bowl.
- Mix well and form patties. Place on hot grill or skillet and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip and cook another 5 minutes.
- While burger cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sesame oil. Then add bok choy, mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Season with tamari.
- Serve burgers over cooked veggies. Top with a scoop of kimchi if desired.