Today I want to share a recipe for Maca Hot Chocolate that will bring a zing to your winter days.
Plus, it’s a definite upgrade from any hot cocoa that comes from a packet or drive-thru. Big time!
The sky has seriously been gray for what seems like a decade. Up our steep driveway, our house sits surrounded by mist. The family has gone home, leaving a dining room full of Thanksgiving crumbs and a table runner that I *think* I can put in the washing machine.
If this isn’t what they call the “winter blahs,” I do not know what is.
Into a pot I deposit 7 simple ingredients and 1 magical ingredient.
The magic is the maca. This is optional, so if you don’t have it, don’t sweat it. But maca is an herb that’s absolutely brilliant for increasing energy, managing stress and even increasing libido.
So you might want to run out and pick up a metric ton. Ahem.
Here’s a brand of maca I like* because it’s fine/non-grainy in drinks.
*And yes that is an affiliate link which means I’ll earn half a penny if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you.
Let’s get on with the recipe.
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp. raw cacao powder (you can also use cocoa powder)
- 1 tsp. maca powder (Start with ½ tsp. if you’re new to the ingredient)
- 1 Tbsp. honey (adjust to your liking)
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
- ⅛ tsp. vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of Himalayan salt (or whatever salt you have, k?)
- Heat milk to simmer
- Add all the ingredients and whisk it together so it all combines.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!